Thursday, July 14, 2011

I worked on the day my mom died: Paresh Rawal

Paresh Rawal, Salman Khan, Ready
My toughest scene: Paresh Rawal

In the 26 years of my film-acting and theatre, I've done some of the most challenging roles.

But my toughest scene I performed on June 23, 2010 in Sri Lanka for Anees Bazmi's Ready. It was the day my mother passed away.

When I heard the news, I felt a part of me died that very instant. I was numbed with grief. It was Salman Khan who gave me strength to go through the day.

He made all the arrangements for my travel back to Mumbai. Unfortunately, there was no connecting flight from Colombo to Mumbai till late in the evening. Instead of sitting in a corner swathed in my grief, I decided to finish my work for the day.

Believe me, it was the toughest performance I've ever given. I had to act drunk and then confront Mahesh Manjrekar in a party sequence.

I had to threaten him that I'd blurt out the truth about Asin's identity. Under normal circumstances the scene would have been a cakewalk.

But given the situation I was shattered by the loss, I could barely think straight, let alone act drunk and scream dramatic lines. It was an ordeal. But in hindsight it was a welcomed ordeal.

If I was not working at that point of time, I'd have probably collapsed with grief. Salmanbhai and his father Salimsaab were a great support and comfort. I don't think I could've gone through that day if I hadn't channelised my grief into work."

No comments:

Post a Comment